Sunday, December 23, 2012

Shrimp Skewers

So I cannot believe how long it has been since I had a chance to update this thing. I really thought I would be able to keep up with this during the semester, but I had no idea my second year of law school was going to be so busy. Even when I managed to find some time to cook for myself, there was no way I had time to make a blog post out of it. Thankfully, I think I am going to be able to have a little more balance next semester. I am still going to be doing a ton of stuff, but I think the way my class schedule is working out should allow me to update this thing once or twice a week.

The following post I have actually had on my computer since this past summer. I ended up deciding to go through the pictures and put the post together today because I am feeling a little homesick. Even though I am on break from school for the next couple weeks, money and logistics made it so that I won't get to see any of my family this break (which means it will probably be about 7 months total before I see my family).

This post helped the homesickness out a little because the day we made these skewers was amazing. We were having a bunch of uncles, aunts, and cousins come over for dinner so I was able to make my three siblings (and one cousin) help me with these. It was such a good afternoon and doing this with a group of folks definitely made the monotony more bearable. Plus, once we were done, we had delicious shrimp skewers.


Skewers
Shrimp
Wooden skewers
Lemons and Limes

Brine
Salt (1/4 cup per 1.5 lbs of shrimp)
Sugar (1/4 cup per 1.5 lbs of shrimp)
Water (1 cup per 1.5 lbs of shrimp)
Ice (2 cups per 1.5 lbs of shrimp)

Marinade
Lemon
Oregano
Red Pepper Flakes
Olive Oil
Salt



1) You want to start off by making your brine. Heat up the water with the salt and sugar until they dissolve in the water. Then, pour over the ice and chill completely before adding the shrimp. Once the brine is chilled, add the shrimp. Stick in the fridge (or keep adding ice so it stays cold) for 30 min - 1 hour.

2) In the meantime,soak your skewers in water and cut up some lemon and lime wedges.

3) Then, drain the shrimp and set up an assembly line with shrimp, skewers, and citrus wedges.


4) Start assembling the skewers. I went with about 8 to 10 shrimp per skewers and a couple wedges of citrus.


5) Next, you want to mix up your marinade. In a blender, mix together all the ingredients and drizzle it over the skewers as you make them. Because of the acid in the marinade, you do not want to leave the marinade on for longer than it takes to assemble all your skewers.


6) Finally, grill the shrimp. Make sure that your grill is really hot and coat it with a tiny bit of oil before putting the shrimp down so that they do not stick. Make sure not to over cook the shrimp. And, when they're done, you're left with these succulent shrimp and this charred citrus that you can squeeze over them. They truly are some of the best shrimp I've had.

No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts