Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rajas con Queso



Rajas are a traditional Mexican side dish consisting of roasted green peppers, usually poblano, with corn in a creamy cheese sauce. I love the flavor combination, but it is difficult to pull off at dinner parties because the creamy cheese sauce has a tendency to harden. Marcela Valladolid solved this issue by taking that great combination and creating a casserole that holds well and can travel.

Aside from how good it tasted, I also love this recipe because it is very easy to multiply the ingredients to make as much or as little as you'd like.

Creamy Poblano Rice Casserole (multiply according to desired yield)
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1 ear of corn
  • 1 poblano or pasilla pepper (check out this chart to see what they look like)
  • 2 tbsp chopped onion
  • 2 tbsp mexican creama (you can also substitute sour cream)
  • 4 tbsp melting cheese (I use oaxaca if I can find it, but monterey jack works great)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • salt and pepper to taste
To start, you need to roast the peppers until they are completely charred and black, then peel them. Check out this post for step by step instructions.

Then, you need to toast the corn and cut it off the cob.

Once you have the roasted peppers peeled and chopped, mix them with the corn, the cheese, and the crema.


Set this aside while you cook the rice. Start off by toasting the onion in the olive oil, then add the rice and cook until it starts smelling and looking toasty.


Once the rice is nice and toasted, add the water. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. This should take about 20 minutes to cook.


Once the rice is cooked, mix it with your original mixture.


Then place it in a buttered casserole dish and top with a little more cheese. Finish it off in the oven until it is bubbly and a little browned on top.


2 comments :

  1. I think I'm going to try to do these rajas cause they are vegetarian and they look sooo good! It's great how you try to kinda kick-up the mexican dishes.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you do try it, let me know how it works out.

      Also, your comment made me go back and realize that I was actually missing a picture in the post. So, thanks for that too :)

      Delete

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts