Sunday, July 22, 2012

Avocado Soup: trust me



My parents bought some really nice shrimp and invited some aunts and uncles over for dinner a few weeks ago. My mom wanted me to make a poblano pepper rice that she loves with the shrimp (the recipes and pictures for those will be coming in future posts). However, it was also ridiculously hot that day so I wanted to make something refreshing to have an option in case people didn't want to have the heavier rice. I was flipping through Marcela Valladolid's cookbook, Mexico Fresco, and she has this beautiful looking recipe for a cold avocado soup. I was sold.

Ingredients
(as always, these are approximations. Do what works for you.)

  • Olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 jalapeno or serrano peppers, roughly chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
  • 6 ripe avocados
  • Juice from 5 lemons
  • Handful of cilantro
  • Salt and pepper
  • Water (amount varies depending on the consistency you want)
  • Mexican crema for serving (you can substitute sour cream)



Start off by chopping the onion, peppers, garlic, and take the cilantro off the stems.






Then you want to saute the onions for a few minutes. Once they are translucent, add the chopped peppers and garlic. Remember, you should be seasoning with salt and pepper every step of the way. Saute for a few more minutes, until everything is soft and fragrant. Set aside.




The next step involves something that I know a few people are nervous about: pitting an avocado. What I like to do is use a knife to go around the avocado until it comes apart in two pieces; once piece will have the pit. Being really careful, slam the knife into the pit so that it sticks into the pit. Then turn the knife and the pit should slide right out (stuck to your knife).




Once you have your avocados pitted, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Add the flesh to a blender with the lime juice and puree. Then add the sauteed veggie mixture and the cilantro. Blend until smooth and thin out with water as you go. I strained the soup once it was completely blended because I wanted it silky and smooth, but this step is unnecessary. Stick the soup in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving.




To accompany the soup, we sliced up a nice crusty baguette, toasted it, and rubbed it with a garlic clove.


To serve, top the soup with a spoonful of mexican crema and it's ready to go. I honestly think this soup would be perfect for a summer lunch just by itself and the bread. But, we went all out and had shrimp skewers and creamy poblano rice. It was a great summer-Sunday dinner.

No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts