Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meat and potatoes

Decided to go traditional for the 4th with some grilling. Asian-marinated steak, baked potatoes, corn souffle casserole, spinach, and some mango limeade.

As you can see, my brother and I like our steak rarer than the rest of the family.


The steaks were beautiful, courtesy of my uncle and the farm he gets them from. I'm actually not sure what cut exactly. They were labeled as rib steaks. As close as I can figure out through google, they might be steaks cut from a rib roast.








For the marina I just blended ginger, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, apple-cider vinegar, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Put it in plastic bag and stuck it in the fridge for about an hour. Then they were ready for the grill.





The baked potato method I used was from the crazy mind of Alton Brown. I've tried foil wrapped before, have tried different temperatures, coating them in butter. This is probably the easiest but easily the best. Scrub your potatoes really well, poke holes ALL over them with a fork, coat in olive oil and nice salt, and stick them in a 350 oven for an hour.












Even though it pains me to say this, I kind of failed on the corn souffle. It was beautiful corn, but my proportion of something were off and it developed this weird awful skin on the outside and bottom. The inside tasted good, but it was almost inedible overall. My dad thinks it was too much baking soda, so I need to try this again and get it right. The basic idea is to mix some fresh corn with a little flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder, fold in some beaten egg whites, and bake until it's light and fluffy. I've made a similar casserole that turned out great, so I just have to try again.















The spinach was simple. Brown some garlic in oil, throw in a ton of spinach, season with salt and pepper, and serve.













Finally, some refreshing limeade. Blend a ripe mango with a lot of lime juice and sugar. Mix with some ice cold water and enjoy the sunshine.











No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts