Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Toasted Coconut Ice Cream

So this was the first time I've ever made ice cream, just purchased my machine a few days ago. I used the recipe for toasted coconut ice cream from The Perfect Scoop. I'm not sure what the protocol is for posting unedited recipes from books, so I'm going to just stick to pictures and descriptions.


Here is everything you will need for this awesome recipe. Instead of using a vanilla bean as the book recommended, I just used a little vanilla bean paste.




Stick the shredded coconut in the oven to toast


Meanwhile, warm up the milk, most of the cream, and the sugar


This is how my coconut looked when it was done. Could have been browner, but the final product was still amazing


Put the coconut into the cream mixture, take it off the heat, and let it steep for about an hour


Reheat and strain the coconut out of the cream, squeeze the coconut to get all the liquid out


Slowly mix the warmed up cream into the egg yolks to temper


Put the whole thing back on the heat and stir continuously, scrapping the bottom, until the custard is thick


Strain the hot custard into the remaining cream, over an ice bath, and stir until cooled down. Stick in fridge for a few hours before churning it


This is my new ice cream machine. Pour the chilled custard in with the machine running


This is what it looks like 15 minutes later. Almost there . . . 


My first ice cream ever.


2 comments :

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts