Sunday, June 24, 2012

Veggies?

Before coming home for the summer, I had been on a six week "i'm only cooking vegetarian" kick. I was still eating meat when I went out/was over at a friends, but I just got really interested in learning how to be more inventive with vegetables, grains, and bold spices.

Since getting to LA, I've been wanting to make some meatless meals for my family. The only problem is that my siblings are incredibly picky eaters. Basically, if it has anything green or vegetable like in it, they will almost refuse to eat it. Then at work the other day I got to talking with someone about vegan cooking and she gave me a recipe for potato and kale enchiladas from the Veganomicon cookbook. This seemed like the perfect vehicle for attempting to get my family to eat a meatless meal with some veggies. As always, I generally followed the recipe but did stray in a few parts.

I made a fresh salad to accompany the enchiladas and finished it off with a strawberry summer cake. Check out the posts for each of those, or follow the jump after this picture for the step-by-step on the enchiladas.



I started off by making my own spice blend. Cumin, chili powder, marjoram, oregano, salt, and sugar.


You also need to roast off some pasilla or poblano peppers. I also added in a japaneno.
Cover them in oil and stick them under the broiler. They should be completely charred when done.
Stick them in a bag to steam, this will make them easier to peel later on.







After they have cooled down in the bag, peel off the thin outer membrane, along with all the char. Remove the stem and chunk of seeds that congregate along the stem, then chop up the chiles.






Next step is the sauce. Start off by sweating some chopped onion in olive oil.



After the onions are soft, add a couple tablespoons of the spice mixture and let it cook down in the oil. Add your diced tomatoes and chopped green chiles, let them simmer for about 20 minutes and then blend with an immersion blender (I used my ninja blender, a regular blender would probably work too)






Now for the potato and kale stuffing. First, steam some yukon gold potatoes


Then, brown some garlic in olive oil (until it is almost burn) and wilt the kale in the garlic oil


Finally, combine the potatoes with the kale, add some chicken stock, salt and pepper, and toasted pumpkin seeds. Mash together as it is cooking down.





All the components should now be ready to just assemble and bake.
I was originally going to dip the tortillas in the sauce to warm them up, but they kept falling apart so I just warmed them up separately and sauced them after they were in the casserole dish. Start off by putting a nice layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish.


Then put a heaping tablespoon of the stuffing in the tortilla.


Roll it up.



Arrange as tightly as possible in the dish


Cover it all with sauce.


Cover it with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 to 15.


And dinner is served.







No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts