Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mi Padre: Potatoes and Veg

My dad is the type of person that doesn't like having people spend money on him, so it has always been pretty difficult to buy him gifts. For a long time I would buy him stuff he needed and he would appreciate it, but I never felt like he really loved any of the gifts. Then one day I decided to just make him an elaborate meal. Now, cooking for him and the family on special occasions has kind of become a tradition. Throughout the day, my little sister helped me create this awesome meal.

Started off with some crunchy parmesean edamame and some creamy mashed potatoes. Detail pictures and cooking tips (including my new discovery for fluffy potatoes) after the jump.

Finished meal (minus dessert).
First I shelled
and steamed some edamame.
Then, coated them in olive oil, parmesean cheese, salt, and pepper.

Finally, threw them in an oven until nice and crispy


For my second side dish I wanted to make my classic potatoes with cream, butter, and parsley. But this time I decided to try something a little different. I wanted to get rid of as much starch as possible because I wanted  my potatoes to be as light and fluffy as possible.

First, I ended up peeling and dicing the potatoes before cooking them. I know it is easier to peel them after, but soaking them in cold water for 30 minutes once they are peeled takes out a ton of starch and makes a big difference in the final product.

Then, I actually steamed the potatoes instead of boiling them. It kept them from soaking in any water, which definitely makes a difference in the final product.



Meanwhile, I put a ton of heavy cream and butter on the stove at a really low temperature.

About halfway through the cooking process, I actually rinsed the potatoes under cold water to get rid of some extra starch.

When the potatoes were finally fork tender I threw them into a stand mixer. As they started mashing I added the cream and let the machine beat some air into them. Let them get creamy, added salt and pepper, and a lot of flat leaf parsley.

The potatoes ended up being nearly perfect. Amazingly creamy and light, except for a few chunks of potato. I didn't have my ricer with me here, but next time I would definitely pass it through the ricer before putting it in the mixer.


No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts