Saturday, June 30, 2012

Ice Cream Cupcake: Cupcake Project Entry

Below you will find my original post, which was my entry to the competition. But, I was crunched on time so I wasn't able to get all my pictures on here. I'm making a few separate posts to get everything on here and will edit this post with the links as I go.

Mango Sorbet
Coconut custard ice cream
Coconut cream cupcake
Mango butter-cream and putting it together

*********************

So finally, here is my submission for the 2012 Ice Cream Cupcake Contest. I know it is cutting it incredibly close to the deadline, but hopefully that doesn't hurt me. Thanks to Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious for putting this together.

So I decided to call my entry "Mangoes and (coconut)Cream."


Started off by making some coconut custard ice cream based on the recipe in David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop. Also made a mango sorbet from the same book and layered them together before sticking it in the freezer. I'll have a post with a couple step by step pictures, but for the purposes of this cupcake you can use any store-bought mango ice cream, or coconut ice cream, or buy them both and layer them.

The cupcake I based off this recipe from epicurious.

Cupcake Ingredients

2 cans high quality coconut milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup cake flour
2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean extract

Cupcake steps

1) Place coconut milk in a sauce pan over medium heat, reduce by about 2/3 (you should have about 1 1/4 cup at the end). Took about 40 minutes for me. Cool before using.

2) Preheat oven to 350 and line 20 cupcake cups with paper liners

3) Sift flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl

4) Cream butter in an electric mixer with the sugar

5) Add eggs one at a time, mixing to incorporate in-between each egg

6) Add vanilla bean extract and mix to incorporate

7) Add half the flour mixture and mix on low to incorporate

8) Add about 1 1/4 cup of the reduced coconut (that is all I had left from my two cans). Mix until blended

9) Add the rest of the flour and mix on low until just incorporated

10) Divide batter in your liners, fill a little over halfway, then bake for about 18 minutes (I would start checking after 15)

11) Let cupcakes cook before filling

Then I made a mango butter-cream to fill the cupcake with. These are the proportions I used, but I ended up with about twice as much as I needed so adjust accordingly.

Mango Butter-cream Ingredients

2 ripe mangoes
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 cup sugar
3-6 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
Juice of 1 lime

Butter-cream steps

1) Peel and cut the mango into small pieces

2) Take 2/3 of your cup up mango and blend with lime juice and sugar until smooth

3) Beat your butter in an electric mixer till soft

4) Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, mix until incorporated

5) Add your pureed mango and mix until incorporated

6) Add more powdered sugar until it gets to the consistency that you need

7) Fold in the remaining pieces of mango

So now you have cooled down cupcakes, butter-cream, and ice cream. Using a small knife, cut out the center of your cupcake and fill with the butter cream. Stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden up a little bit. Top with a scoop of the ice cream and a couple slices of mango, and enjoy before they melt completely..



4 comments :

  1. Mmmm, these look fantastic...I love mango!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Mangoes were beautiful here this week, perfectly ripe, so I had to take advantage. I'm really happy with how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make this! Hopefully it will be my first ice cream! What ice cream maker are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever had like 3 or 4 ice cream cupcakes, but these were definitely the most amazing. I ended up going with this ice cream maker

      Cuisinart 21 Ice Cream Machine

      I think it might actually be cheaper on amazon if you only want the one freezer bowl, but I think it is worth the extra money to get the set with two from Williams-Sonoma. I like making two flavors right after each other so I can mix them. If you end up going with just one bowl, you have to wait about 18 hours between batches.

      Delete

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts