Coconut custard ice cream
Coconut cream cupcake
Mango butter-cream and putting it together
So finally, here is my submission for the 2012 Ice Cream Cupcake Contest. I know it is cutting it incredibly close to the deadline, but hopefully that doesn't hurt me. Thanks to Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious for putting this together.
So I decided to call my entry "Mangoes and (coconut)Cream."
Started off by making some coconut custard ice cream based on the recipe in David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop. Also made a mango sorbet from the same book and layered them together before sticking it in the freezer. I'll have a post with a couple step by step pictures, but for the purposes of this cupcake you can use any store-bought mango ice cream, or coconut ice cream, or buy them both and layer them.
The cupcake I based off this recipe from epicurious.
2 cans high quality coconut milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup cake flour
2 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean extract
1) Place coconut milk in a sauce pan over medium heat, reduce by about 2/3 (you should have about 1 1/4 cup at the end). Took about 40 minutes for me. Cool before using.
2) Preheat oven to 350 and line 20 cupcake cups with paper liners
3) Sift flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl
4) Cream butter in an electric mixer with the sugar
5) Add eggs one at a time, mixing to incorporate in-between each egg
6) Add vanilla bean extract and mix to incorporate
7) Add half the flour mixture and mix on low to incorporate
8) Add about 1 1/4 cup of the reduced coconut (that is all I had left from my two cans). Mix until blended
9) Add the rest of the flour and mix on low until just incorporated
10) Divide batter in your liners, fill a little over halfway, then bake for about 18 minutes (I would start checking after 15)
11) Let cupcakes cook before filling
Then I made a mango butter-cream to fill the cupcake with. These are the proportions I used, but I ended up with about twice as much as I needed so adjust accordingly.
Mango Butter-cream Ingredients
2 ripe mangoes
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 cup sugar
3-6 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
Juice of 1 lime
1) Peel and cut the mango into small pieces
2) Take 2/3 of your cup up mango and blend with lime juice and sugar until smooth
3) Beat your butter in an electric mixer till soft
4) Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, mix until incorporated
5) Add your pureed mango and mix until incorporated
6) Add more powdered sugar until it gets to the consistency that you need
7) Fold in the remaining pieces of mango
So now you have cooled down cupcakes, butter-cream, and ice cream. Using a small knife, cut out the center of your cupcake and fill with the butter cream. Stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden up a little bit. Top with a scoop of the ice cream and a couple slices of mango, and enjoy before they melt completely..