Sunday, June 17, 2012

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

For the main course, of course we had to have some carne. I was incredibly lucky to be working with some great quality meat. One of my uncles actually buys a calf every year and pays a farm to raise it and eventually slaughter it. Then they butcher it and vaccumm pack it for him. So about once a year we get this package of beautiful meat from him.

I ended up using this small package of short ribs, a small package of stew meat, and four beautiful t-bone steaks.

I relied on this asian-style braised short rib recipe from the food network for general guidance, but didn't stick to it for amounts at all and also added the stew meat in with the short ribs. Hit the jump for the full set of pictures.

You can use any tough cut of meat for this type of braise and they end up completely succulent at the end.
I love some caramelization and browning on my meat, so I started off by searing both the short ribs and the stew meat in a smoking hot pan with olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper.

Almost there.

This is what they should look like once they're done (or to be honest, even a little browner).

I cooked all the liquid before adding the meat. Used the same ingredients as the recipe, except that I added sriracha and used a lot more red pepper flakes. This part is totally dependent on taste, just make it taste good now and it will taste good when it is done.

After cooking the sauce for a few minutes on the stove top, I added the browned meat and covered it (albeit a little bootlegged since the lid didn't really fit).

Stuck it in a 350 degree over. Took about 2.5 hours, but keep an eye on it after 2.

This is what it looked like halfway through cooking.

When it is done the short rib should be falling off the bone. I took out all the meat and put the sauce back on the stove on high heat to reduce it a lot. Strained it, added some hoisin, lemon juice, and orange juice. Finally threw the meat back in there for a few minutes before serving.


I forgot to take pictures of the t-bone until I was about to carve the last one, but I cooked them directly on the rack in the oven, with some aluminum foil on the rack underneath, under a really hot broiler. Really simple, with just salt and pepper, but it lets the meat shine. Unfortunately, I think I slightly overcooked it, but it was my first time trying the straight on the rack method.


No comments :

Post a Comment

#BigManLovesFood

Message from bigman

Welcome to my blog, where you can join me as I revel in my love of food. Eating it, cooking it, baking it, watching it on TV and even learning about it. If it has to do with food, I am probably interested.

Most Popular Posts